CatDV is a digital asset management system with production management capabilities.
For companies that create or manage a large volume of digital media CatDV helps teams organise, communicate and collaborate.
Its simple, yet powerful tools support some of the world’s most sophisticated media workflows and provide the flexibility to work your way. CatDV brings value to single user installations through to large, dispersed teams in the world’s largest firms.
Unlike many asset management systems CatDV is easy to learn and deploy, has one of the lowest costs of ownership in its sector and has unrivalled ability to integrate with other products, platforms, formats, hardware and software.
Ultimately CatDV helps companies find and reuse their media assets, helps teams to collaborate and to get more done, saving both time and money.
Over the last 12 years, CatDV has hundreds of successful deploymentsacross some of the best known names in the media and entertainment world as well as in education, sports, non-profit and commercial settings. At the same time CatDV is used by several thousand individuals.
CatDV’s key strengths are its flexibility, power, simplicity and cost :
- Flexibility: It can fit with your existing workflow and provides round trip metadata management with many different asset types (video, stills, audio, subtitles, documents etc), video formats, NLEs, storage systems, database systems, operating systems and archiving systems. There are APIs and flexible importers / exporters for customers & integrators to further extend the product.
- Power: the CatDV worker can automate many tasks in a workflow, including ingest, file naming, file organisation, media logging and transcoding. The worker can also integrate with a wide variety of hardware and software tools so that existing investments are maximised
- Simplicity: CatDV’s desktop interface is clean and straightforward. The complexity that comes with the flexibility and power of the product is hidden from the user who can focus on getting their job done. CatDV also has web clients that present a subset of CatDV functions, improving usability further.
- Cost: CatDV is cost effective and pricing is tiered from stand alone, single user clients to systems that support hundreds of users across large, distributed organisations.
We like to think CatDV has a unique mix of flexibility power, simplicity and cost. As a result there’s no such thing as a typical deployment. This section describes some workflows that CatDV can easily support:
A front end to your SAN and archive
CatDV makes browsing the content of your storage a breeze whether on-line, off-line, near-line or archived. Searching media could previously have taken hours or days, with CatDV finding media takes seconds.
Logging & Tagging
CatDV’s configurable Verbatim Logger is a fast and intuitive way of logging footage, even for new CatDV users. Notes, subclips, in and out points and markers can be created on the fly and playback controls are completely configurable. Flexible data types (radio buttons, check boxes, heirarchical lists) make the entry of even complex metadata fast.
Review and Approval
CatDV has been used on many prestigious products as a review and approval tool. Directorial review notes from screenings can be captured in CatDV and shared word-for-word with the post-production teams directly into the NLE or via CatDV clients (web or desktop). Editors, compositors, audio engineers and finishers can then update sequence notes to show that action has been taken. A recent, major TV production used CatDV for multiple levels of review from story boards through to playout and took advantage of the Production Blog and messaging tool. Take a look at this customer story for more details
Transcoding & Proxy Generation
With the plethora of cameras and format on the market today, to say nothing of user created content, transcoding is a critical issue for any organisation with lots of content. CatDV’s has powerful transcode capabilities, both in the desktop clients and in the CatDV Worker (the automation engine). CatDV can also be configured to work with other hardware or software transcoders.
Any production that intends to reuse footage has a media asset management challenge. CatDV’s has helped many productions plan and track the status of their productions. Every element of the production can be tracked by CatDV providing an invaluable aid to planning whether on location or during post production. Knowing the timeplan, actual dates, status and owner for every asset makes productions faster and more efficient. Take a look at this customer story for more details
Video / Photo / Audio Archive
CatDV at its core is a powerful database for media assets. Any organisation that creates or commissions content for broadcast on any channel (TV, film, web, internal) will benefit from the ability to find and reuse content. There are a range of options available to share CatDV functions throughout organisations, from the powerful desktop client, through simpler web clients to completely tailored web interfaces using our flexible APIs. Take a look at this customer story for more details.
A number of our customers use CatDV’s print functions as part of their paper based review and approvals process. This is particularly relevant for stills libraries but is also been used for video using the filmstrip views.
Product Versions and Options
CatDV is designed for stand-alone and networked operation. It is highly scalable so it meets the needs of everyone from individuals through to studios and large production houses.
There are a number of versions and options to cater for customer’s differing requirements, in addition to CatDV’s core capabilities:
Asset management and logging
- CatDV Standard: single user, stand-alone logging and cataloguing.
- CatDV Pro: integration with editing systems. more sophisticated import / export and more sophisticated search.
- CatDV Workgroup: up to 5 CatDV clients can work together.
- CatDV Enterprise: for larger deployments with more sophisticated server functions.
- CatDV Pegasus: our premium client including Media Composer integration
- CatDV Browse Client: providing rich, read-only access to networked deployments.
- CatDV Rich Web Client: for rapid or Internet based deployments.
- CatDV Simple Web Client: for browse only access.
The CatDV clients above run on both Windows and macs. A complete list of features is described in theproduct matrix.
- the CatDV Worker: is a sophisticated but easy to use automation engine. It is often used for automatic media ingest into CatDV and can trigger workflow actions outside of CatDV (for example with external transcoders and archiving systems).
There are also a number of options to support specific workflows:
- archiving: adding support for a constantly growing range of long term storage solutions
- MXF: supporting meta data exchange from P2, XDCAM and AVID formats. (note that appropriate codecs for playback are also required)
For more information about this product, please contact me or fill out the information below and I will get back to you as soon as possible.